This is a recent quarantine recipe I came up with because I was craving a greeny-green salad. I highly recommend the use of anchovies for this but it’s not necessary. Anchovies are so great because they are packed with flavor (it’s nature’s MSG!) and you can save what you don’t use in the fridge for other dressings and recipes for a few weeks. I’ll have other recipes that I love with anchovies in the coming weeks so stay tuned!
What you’ll need:
- Frozen Peas - 1 cup
- Snap Peas - Each snap pea sliced lengthwise in half, 2 cups
- Arugula Leaves - 1 cups
- Romaine Lettuce - Chopped up - 1 cup
- Toasted Pine nuts
- Shallots - 1 large bulb or 2 small bulbs sliced thinly into rings
- Butter - 1 TBSP
- Olive Oil - 2.5 TBSP
- Lemon - 1
- Fresh Parmesan Cheese - If you have a hunk in your fridge for grating, perfect. If not pre-ground Parm will do, you’ll need about 1/4 of a cup
- Anchovies - 1 to 2 filets, I like a lot of it but if you’re new to the taste of anchovies you can start with just 1
- Salt - If you have Diamond Kosher or Sea Salt great! If not any old salt is great, but you’ll need it to season well.
1. Make sure your Arugula + Romaine are washed and clean and placed in a large bowl and set aside. Toss the pine nuts in as well.
2. Heat up a pan to medium heat and toss in your butter and olive oil until melted but not bubbling, immediately toss in your the shallots and move your shallots around until they are nice and crispy but not burned. There will appear to be a lot of oil in your pan, but this is ok because this is eventually going to be a part of the dressing that coats all of your greens!
3. While your oil is still nice and hot, toss in the anchovies and using your wooden spoon mash it up a bit until it basically disintegrates into the oil 3. Toss in your cup of peas and snap peas and cook for about 2-4 minutes or until they’ve warmed through and cooked through respectively. Season with salt and pepper well and take off the heat.4. Now you can set your table or do whatever else you’d like to do while your pea mixture cools for about 10 minutes.
5. Pour your warm pea mixture over your arugula and toss well, squeeze one lemon over everything right before serving and grate fresh parmesan over your salad and give it another good toss. This salad is great with Feta or Goat Cheese too.
Hope you give it a try! Let me know how you like it by sharing your creation and tagging me on Instagram!